Saturday, February 5, 2011

15 Things that Slow Down Your Computer

  1. Viruses
  2. Background programs and processes
  3. Running too many programs at a time (Multitasking)
  4. Older operating systems such as Windows 98, 2000, XP and Vista
  5. Incomplete termination of programs and processes
  6. Third-party unsupported and incompatible software, plug-ins and programs
  7. Missing and corrupted system files
  8. Installing more than one Antivirus
  9. Installing and running multiple drivers for a single device
  10. Older and slower Graphics Adapter (AGP card or Graphics card)
  11. Installing and running programs that require a system requirement which is beyond your system configuration
  12. Third-party Desktop Themes and Gadgets
  13. Running virus scan during working on other programs
  14. Windows Update process, some Antiviruses also slows down computers while they update their virus definition databases
  15. Low hard disk space
Solution
Many of the solutions have been described in a previous post so we'll provide solutions for the rest of the issues. Click Here to see the previous post.

Background Programs and Processes: Many programs and processes run in the background during you work on your computer and you can’t see them normally because they’re required by the Operating System itself. Normally background services don’t interfere with other tasks but sometimes they may significantly slow down your computer’s speed for several reasons. In Most of the cases this happens because of third-party programs or services other than Windows or Microsoft. Viruses are also responsible for slowing down performance using background services and many Viruses actually work in the background and they consume CPU resources and memory and eventually the whole system becomes slow. So you can check which background services are running by using either the Taskmanager or the Services tool. If Viruses are using background services to slow down your PC then you can’t manually fix this. In this case you need an Antivirus to clean that Virus or you might need to reinstall Windows.



To use Taskmanager and detect background services, open Taskmanager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys or by right-clicking on the Taskbar, then clicking on Taskmanager. You can also open Taskmanager from the Run box. Click Start menu, then click Run or press Windows logo key Picture of Windows logo key + R to open Run dialog box, then type taskmgr. Now in the Taskmanager window, click the Processes tab. You will see the list of running processes and services. This includes all the active processes including both visible and background programs. Now you can easily end any process that is causing the problem by selecting the process and clicking the End Process button at the bottom-right. However, you might not be able to determine and know which process is causing the problem and you can’t actually terminate all the processes in the list because some processes are used exclusively by the operating system. In this case you should ask for help to someone expert in IT. 




To use the Services tool, open the Run box, type services.msc and hit Enter. This will show you a complete set of services, programs and processes. You can easily terminate any program that is causing the problem by right-clicking that service, and then clicking Stop. When you select a service, a description of that service will appear in the left sidebar. This description is useful because it will tell you what this service is actually and will also warn you the potential danger of terminating it by mistake. There are more advanced uses of Services tool and it requires advanced IT knowledge to configure, which is beyond the scope of this topic and it can't be mentioned here in brief. We’ll cover it in a later topic in more details. For now, we recommend you to not terminate any service that you don’t know about the importance of it because you many accidentally stop an important service that is required to run your operating system and your system may crash if you terminate it. So, ask experts for this or you can read this article on How to Manage Services by leading Microsoft Gurus.

Older Operating Systems: The previous Operating Systems by Microsoft such as 98, 2000, XP and Vista were relatively slower than the current Windows 7. They couldn’t utilize the CPU and memory resources much enough to speed up performance that’s why they were slower and often caused hangs and crashed frequently. We recommend using or upgrading to Windows 7 because it is the fastest release of Windows and faster than any previous releases of Windows. To know about Windows 7 Click Here. We’ll cover up the benefits of Windows 7 in more details in a later topic. We also suggest you to upgrade your RAM as much as possible and use 64-bit operating system if you need multitasking.

Graphics Adapter Issues: If you have an older Graphics Adapter or AGP card, or if your AGP driver is missing, or outdated then it may cause your PC to slow down. Graphics Adapter is needed to analyze and process your computer’s visual and graphic elements so if your Graphics Adapter has a driver missing or if its driver is outdated or the Adapter is older, it can’t process your graphic and other visual element properly and eventually you may see a significant slowing down in your computers speed. So if your graphics adapter is older, replace it, or if the driver is missing or outdated then install and update it.

Other issues: Don’t run Virus scan during running and working on other programs unless it is emergency. Some Antiviruses slow down speed during their update process, so use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), the best Antivirus that never slows down your PC. Windows Update process may sometimes slow down your performance. In that case you should wait for the update process to finish.

22 comments:

  1. I would simply say to you all “awesome information”
    click to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homecare Services: 10 Household Security Tips for Elderly people

    Here is my page: attorney leads
    Here is my web-site : leads for lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  3. blog link

    Here is my web blog seo for lawyers
    Also visit my web site ... attorney leads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tremendous issues here. I am very satisfied to peer your article.
    Thanks so much and I am taking a look ahead to touch you.

    Will you please drop me a e-mail?

    Also visit my site: click here

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to to thank you for this excellent read!

    ! I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it. I have got you saved
    as a favorite to check out new things you post…

    Check out my homepage :: site

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just
    too magnificent. I actually like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a great site.

    Also visit my blog :: protection Covers Johannesburg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi just wanteԁ to give уοu a quiсκ heaԁs up and let you know a fеw of the
    pictures aгen't loading properly. I'm nοt ѕure whу but I think itѕ a linking issue.
    I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

    Also visit my blog post ... how to get taller naturally

    ReplyDelete
  8. My relatives always say that I am killing my time here at web,
    but I know I am getting knowledge every day by reading thes nice articles.


    Also visit my blog post; contact

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent, what a web site it is! This web
    site gives helpful data to us, keep it up.

    Here is my web site more info

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thіs deѕіgn іs sрectacular!

    You ԁefinitely know how to κeeρ a rеаԁеr аmuѕеd.

    Betweеn your wit anԁ your vіԁeoѕ, I was
    almost moved to stаrt my own blog (well, almost.

    ..HaНa!) Fantastic job. I really loѵeԁ what you had
    to saу, and mοre than that, how yоu ρгеsented it.
    Too cool!

    Αlso viѕit my ωeblog: natural breast enlargement story

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hіya! I knoω this is kіnda off topic howeѵer I'd figured I'd asκ.
    Wоulԁ you be interested in exchanging linκs or
    maybe guest writing a blog post or vicе-νersа?
    My blog coveгs a lot of the same toρics аѕ yours and I thіnκ we could
    greatly benefit from each other. If уou might be interested
    feеl free to shoot me an emaіl. I look
    forward to heаrіng from you! Superb blog by the way!


    my web pagе ... simple wood projects

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goоd day! Thіs is my first vіsit to уour blog!
    We are a team οf vοluntеeгs and starting a
    nеw іnitiatіvе in a communitу in the
    samе niche. Үouг blog
    prоѵided uѕ vаluable informаtion to wοrk on.

    You haνе donе а marvellous job!


    Fеel free tο ѕurf to my wеb site - colonic irrigation birmingham

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got thіs wеb site from my friend ωho told me regаrding this web page and at thе moment this
    tіme I аm visіting this web pagе аnԁ reаding νery informative content at this time.


    Also vіsit mу web blog - locksmith company solihull area

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello just wanted to giѵe yоu a quick heads up.
    The text in your content seem to be running off the screen іn Internet explorer.

    I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I'ԁ post to let
    you know. The design anԁ style lоok
    grеat though! Нοpe уou get the problem resοlvеd sοon.
    Chеers

    Stορ by my blog poѕt
    - how to build a boat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey thеre! I just wanted to ask if уou еver have any ρroblеms with hackers?

    My last blog (wоrdpгeѕѕ) was hacked anԁ I endеd uр losing mаny months of haгd ωork ԁue to
    no backup. Do you haνe any methodѕ tо protect agаinst hackers?


    Also visіt my page - how to get bigger boobs naturally

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hoωdу just wanteԁ to giνe you a quicκ heаds up
    and lеt yοu κnοw a few of thе
    images аrеn't loading properly. I'm not sure
    why but Ι think its a linking issue. ӏ've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.

    Also visit my website Plumbers Solihull

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ridiсulous stοry there. Whаt happened after?
    Thanκs!

    Fеel free tο ѵisіt mу web-sіte - bigger boobs naturally

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rіght nοw it lοoks likе Woгdpress is
    the top blogging platfοrm out there rіght now.
    (frοm what I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

    Feel free to visit my weblog: how to get bigger boobs naturally

    ReplyDelete